Thursday, September 4, 2008

Shy Girl

Moving is for the birds... and last time I checked, I don't have wings or tweet.  :)  Yes, I'm trying to see the funny side even though my spirits are low.  This is probably the hardest move I've ever been through (and Jason and I have lived in six different cities since we got married).  I'm just really having a tough time.  

On a different note--last night the girls started Awana's at church.  I'm helping in Anna's class.  Living with her and spending all my time with her, I see a bubbly, funny, laughing, ornery, lovable and even outgoing Anna.  Her spirit is truly inspiring and she brightens my day with her humor.  She tends to laugh at stuff and quickly change my outlook on something that might have annoyed me otherwise.  See, right now as I'm writing this she just asked to play a computer game.  I told her no, she has a friend over (AG from across the street) so she needs to play with her and Megan and let me work.  She had a princess wand in her hand, so she smiled an ornery smile and waved the wand at me and said, "Then I'm going to change you into a bear!"  Then off she went.  She's carefree and loves spending time with me.   She has no qualms speaking her mind around us.  In fact, she's quite stubborn and downright mean sometimes to Megan.  Let's just say she's a very head strong little girl when she wants to be.  

Anyway, being around all the new people last night brought out a whole new side of her.  I know she has a shy side.  I see it when she's around new people she's not used to.  But last night she was painfully shy.  They played a game where they threw bean bags into a laundry basket and then said their name.  It was truly a difficult thing for Anna to do while all eyes were on her.  She s..l..o..w..l..y stood up with the bean bag.  Then she looked down at the floor for a few seconds.  Then she glanced at the teacher who was telling her what to do....looked down again...grabbed her pants....looked my way.....looked down again....and after about 30 seconds that seemed to last forever she threw it in.  Then the whole process started again.   She looked down...looked at the teacher....glanced my way....looked down....then finally blurted out her name,  "Anna."  I'm not lying.  Her face was red and splotched.  It really was a hard thing for her just to say her name in front of the new people.  

Friends in Harrison know it took her over a year to adjust to the church and kids there.  Now, she has to start over again.  I was praying today that God would help her with it.  He knew before she was born that she would have a shy side.  He also knew we'd be moving.  So I know He'll work it out for her good.  It may be good for her that we've moved so she has to get over it to an extent.   

What was funny is that when we got home she was telling Jason about the game.  She sounded upbeat and happy as if it was all great.  He asked her if she did the game and she just said, "Yeah!"  If I hadn't been there, we'd never known how hard it was for her.  




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohhh...how well I know that pain! We are praying for you all.

Happy Birthday to Jason.

We love you!

Anonymous said...

One of our boys had a very difficult time with new situations, and meeting new people. It's always amazing how God's ways are not our ways. I would never have chosen for him to attend 5 new schools, 5 years in a row from 7th-11th grades. But that is exactly what God did in his life, and the summer between 9th and 10th grade while he was at a nation wide church camp, he was asked to give his testimony in front of 300-400 kids and adults. He agreed, and the report we got was that he did great! So, remember, she is God's child and he has a plan for her.
Barb