Friday, January 9, 2009

SS Social

Well, I debated whether to post this or not, but nobody who lives around here even knows about the blog, so I will just to get it off my chest.  

Tonight we had a SS Social.  Our SS is HUGE, so we all met up then broke up into groups of 5 couples or so to go out to eat.  After dinner we all met back up for dessert and drinks at the church.  

Dinner went great.  Back at the church Jason and I were sitting at a table all by ourselves and the table next to us was crammed full of people.  Up walks a girl I had met the other night for the first time and grabs one of our empty chairs to pull it next to the cram-packed table and never even says hello to us.  I felt like crying right then and there.  It's just hard to be outgoing when you know so few people; and I still feel so new since the church is so big.  Anyway, what I did learn from the situation is what NOT to do to a new couple sitting all by their lonesome.  

That said, I doubt she meant anything rude by it at all.  I doubt she even thought about how that might make us feel.  She just probably had friends at that other table and didn't give it a second thought.  So, I'm not upset at her in the least.  It was just the way it made me feel that bothered me.  Like we're all alone in a room full of people that are friends.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sooo get this. It is terribly hard always being the new person. The wonderful thing is that God has a purpose even for those hard moments. I constantly have to remind myself of that truth. Hang in there. And smile...you are so loved, girl. :)

Dawn

Kim said...

Thanks, Dawn. You always bring a smile to my face. Can't wait to see you all!

Shannon B. said...

Ugh!! I feel your pain :( Our church is SO big and Eric and I STILL have not joined a SS group because of that very reason! It is NOT a good reason and we need to get over it. I know everyone is so established and they have been together forever and I dread walking in being the "new people". Dawn is so right though when she said "God has a purpose even for those hard moments" You hang in there - wish we were closer so we could go together!!
I LOVE the pretty in pink pics of the girls!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry girl, my heart breaks for you. This sadly happens so often, even when you're not the "new people" necessarily! Hang in there, you are dearly loved and greatly missed!!